What is the significance of water baptism?
Water baptism is believers’ identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is the outward expression of our obedience to declare spiritual truth. Through baptism, we declare we are dead to sin and are raised with Christ.
Why is water baptism needed?
- Jesus commanded it. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matthew 28:19)
- Jesus Himself was baptized that way. “Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ Jesus replied, ‘Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.’ Then John consented.” (Matthew 3:13-15)
- Baptism represents leaving behind the old man and cleansing from sin. We put off our sinful body through baptism. (Romans 6:4-13)
- It is a public confession. It declares that we identify ourselves together with Jesus. (Romans 6:1-11)
In water baptism we confess to:
- Heaven…. That we believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
- Church….. That we are part of it
- World…… That we no longer have a relationship with it
- Satan…… That we are finished with him and now transferred to God’s side
Who should be baptized?
Every person who has believed in Christ should be baptized. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. . . . And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, ‘Be saved from this perverse generation.’ Then those who gladly received his word were baptized.” (Acts 2:37-41)
When should I be baptized?
You should be baptized as soon as you have accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior. (Mark 16:15-16, Acts 16:14-15)
When are baptisms performed?
Baptisms are performed on Sunday mornings during our normal worship services. To schedule a baptism, please contact the church office at 859-586-6529.
What should I wear when I am baptized?
Women should wear shorts or long pants with a top that will preserve modesty. Men may wear a swimsuit and t-shirt. Bring a change of clothes, a towel, and a plastic bag for your wet articles of clothing. We provide changing rooms.